This week I designed and entered the Lux3DTech mascot competition. Using the skills I picked up from the doughnut tutorial, this would be the first proper Blender design that I would have created.
I had an original Moai design, but I wasn’t overly happy with how it turned out. so I restarted with a new model and made sure to pay more attention to the initial model setup. I spent more time creating the wireframe of the basic shape to the point where it actually looked like the Moai statue head. I went into the detail too early on the original which ultimately made it look crap.
Lesson one: detail early on is a bad idea.
I started by importing some reference images and essentially tracing the outlines of images with the wireframe. Using extrude and scaling I was able to make the model wider, extended and smaller where I needed it to be.
Next, I applied the subdivision surface modifier. This modifier smoothes out the selected part of the model and can change a clunky surface to a smooth finish. From this point, I tried different modifiers to figure out what type of design I wanted to go with, I chose the “Decimate” modifier which allows you to turn your design into a low poly model with minimum effort.
I added some pit viper sunglasses for extra coolness and set about creating a final render before I exported it for printing. When I loaded it into Cura I found some slight overhangs that I needed to change, especially in the quiff hairstyle.
Lux3DTech Final Print
Here is the final model. I opted for a filament change at the neck break to see how it would work.
Final closing date for the Lux3DTech mascot contest is the 28th of May , so you might have a little time left to come up with your own mascot design for the competition.
Find me on Instagram
Support me on Patreon
Watch me on Youtube
Donations: Buy Me A Coffee
Prop Models Available here: Etsy Store
Freelance designer & Mechanical Engineer.
Over Engineering Prop Designer.